What happens in the consultation
The initial consultation serves to build the big picture, from which your symptoms arise. You will be asked about the history of your complaint, and relevant information from your medical history, work conditions, exercise habits and nutrition. This part will last 20-30 mins, and leaves the rest of the time for treatment, where appropriate.
What is treatment like?
Manual techniques are performed with respect for you and the state of your tissues, and are carried out in a careful, gentle and measured manner:
- Massage, stretch and release for tight muscles.
- Joint articulation and manipulation to improve range and quality of movement.
- Gentle abdominal techniques to the internal organs to improve their position and the function of the whole system. These techniques address deep tension and are comfortable to receive. They are particularly appropriate for shallow breathing and all digestive complaints.
- Manual guiding techniques to encourage the body to decompress, to support the head, neck and back in a better balance to one another, and to encourage better stability.
How many treatments will i need?
This will depend on your presentation. Most people report relief from pain after the first session, with a significant improvement in 3-5 sessions, but choose to continue their progress towards stability and ease in their structure over time. Longer term goals will involve:
- Greater awareness of the underlying causes of your complaint.
- Strategies to prevent recurrences.
- Tools to continue improving your own posture, balance and physiology.
What do i wear?
It is best to wear shorts and a singlet/gym top. At times, in order to allow the osteopath to observe and work on different areas, it may be necessary to undress to underwear. Towels will then be used to ensure your comfort and modesty are maintained.