What happens in the consultation?
The initial consultation serves to understand you as a person, and thus the nature of the complaint. You will be asked about the history of your symptoms and relevant information from your medical history, work conditions, exercise habits and nutrition. This part will last 20-30 mins and leave the rest of the time for treatment, where appropriate.
What is treatment like?
Manual techniques are performed with respect for you and the state of your tissues, and are carried out in a careful, gentle and measured manner:
- Massage, stretch and release for tight muscles.
- Joint articulation and manipulation to improve range and quality of movement.
- Gentle abdominal techniques to the internal organs to assess their position and influence the function of the whole system. These techniques serve to release deep tension and are comfortable to receive.
- Manual guiding techniques to encourage the body to decompress, and to support the head, neck and back in better balance to one another.
How many treatments will i need?
This will depend on your presentation. Most people will start feeling relief from pain after the first session, with a significant improvement in 3-5 sessions, but choose to continue their progress towards health over time. Longer term goals will involve:
- Greater awareness of the underlying causes of your complaint.
- Strategies to prevent recurrences.
- Tools to continue improving your own posture, balance and physiology.
What do i wear?
It is best to wear shorts and a singlet/gym top. At times, in order to allow the osteopath to observe and work on different areas, it may be necessary to undress to underwear. Towels will then be used to ensure your comfort and modesty are maintained.